There is a simple way to make money for future trips that takes little effort from you. Most of the major travel sites have best price guarantees. This means if you find a better price on another site for the exact same item, they will match the price and give you a credit for a future booking. You can use this strategy on airfare, hotels, and car rentals. I’ve used it both for airfare and hotels on Travelocity and Expedia.
It takes a little effort, but not much. You just need to search multiple travel sites for any of your bookings (something I would suggest anyway, since you always want to get the best price). The fun begins when you find something you want to book and you have a site that it priced higher than another (on a site that has a best price guarantee). You make note of which site had the lower price, but you book the item on the higher priced site. You then follow the best price guarantee procedure for that site. That usually means submitting an on-line form or calling a customer service representative. You tell them what you booked and where the lower price can be found.
I’ve used this for our flights between Oahu and Maui on our last Hawaiian vacation. It took almost no time and I got a $50 credit towards a future booking. I’ve also used it on a hotel booking for a trip to Maine. They matched the lower price and I got a $50 credit towards a future booking. Each of these probably took me about 10 minutes to submit the documentation.
A few important points:
- Make sure the site you’re booking with has a best price guarantee
- Make sure that the lower price site item is for EXACTLY the same item as the higher price site
- Submit your best price guarantee documentation as soon as possible (no more than 24 hours later) since prices can change fast
- There is a blog called The Best Rate Guarantee Blog that talks about how to use the best price guarantee on hotel bookings
- As stated on The Best Rate Guarantee Blog, Hotels Combined is a great starting point for hotel bookings.