Bank of America’s Alaska Airlines credit card now has a 40,000 sign-up bonus after approval for the card through July 31, 2011. You also get a $99 travel companion discount code annually. Alaska Airlines partner airlines are: American Airlines, British Airways, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Air France, Delta, Korean Air, Air Pacific, Era Alaska, LAN, Icelandair, Pen Air, and Kenmore Air.
My main concern with the card was that 40,000 miles is an odd number. You need 50,000 miles for two saver awards, so you would be 10,000 miles short. However, Starwood Hotels Preferred Guest does allow transfers to Alaska Airlines at a 1:1 rate. This again is why people will tell you that the Starwood Hotels Points are so valuable. They are so flexible and allow you to cap off other programs where needed.
I love that this card is with Bank of America. So many of the good sign-up bonuses have been through Chase lately, it’s nice to get some diversity.
There is talk on Flyertalk saying that this is a targeted offer. However, the terms and conditions do not indicate that. If you apply for the card, make sure you take screen shots as you apply.
Here are the details of the card:
- 40,000 mile sign-up bonus upon approval for the card
- Receive a $99 Travel Companion Flight discount code annually on Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Flights and Vacation Packages
- Earn 3 miles for every qualifying dollar in purchases of Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air flights and Vacation packages
- No mileage cap. There’s no limit to the number of miles you can earn with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.
- Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on purchases
- Receive 2 Board Room passes upon approval
- Free Total Security Protection package helps protect against fraud and unauthorized use of your card
- Online access to our award winning Online Banking service
- Earn up to 5 points for dollar at participating restaurants
- $75 annual fee – does not appear to be waived