This is a list of what I consider the best travel credit card offers currently available. Your list may be different; it all depends on how, where and when you want to travel.
- Chase Hyatt Visa – 2 free nights at ANY Hyatt – first one after first purchase, second one after spending $1,000 on the card within first 3 months, $75 annual fee (not waived the first year).
- Chase British Airways – 50,000 mile sign-up bonus – 25,000 miles after first purchase, 25,000 miles after you spend $2,500 in the first 90 days. British Airways miles can be used to get American Airlines flights. There is a $95 annual fee which is not waived the first year. I know it’s not as good as the 100,000 mile sign-up bonus that they had before, but it’s still a good deal.
- Citicard American Airlines – 50,000 mile sign-up bonus after you spend $2,500 on the card within the first 4 months. The $85 annual fee is waived for the first year. The 75,000 mile sign-up bonus is dead, so this is the best deal for American Airlines now. I also like that it’s not a Chase card so you can spread your applications across multiple banks. There are 3 different cards with this offer – a personal Visa, a personal American Express, and a business Visa. You can apply for both of the personal cards, but if you’re going to do that, you have to apply for them on the same day. Wait 65 days after that if you also want to apply for the business card. You can only apply for each of the cards once.
- Citi Thank You Preferred – 50,000 point sign-up bonus – 25,000 after you spend $5,000 in the first 6 months, 25,000 after you spend $5,000 in the next 6 months. This is a steep spending requirement. I put it on the list because it gives you another non-Chase option. There is no annual fee. These points have a fixed redemption value of 1 cent per point. So this deal is worth $500. I value airline miles at 2 cents per mile, so this isn’t as good as the airline 50,000 mile sign-up bonuses. I would apply for those before this one.
- Chase Marriott Visa – 50,000 point sign-up bonus and a free night at a category 1 – 4 hotel. The $85 annual fee is waived the first year. You also get a free night at a category 1 – 5 hotel every year you keep the card after the first year (this helps offset having to pay for the annual fee).
- Chase Priority Club Visa – 60,000 point sign-up bonus. The $49 annual fee is waived for the first year. You also get a free night each year the card is renewed. Note: there is also a targeted 80,000 point sign-up bonus. Check your email to see if you are in the targeted group.
- Barclay’s US Airways Mastercard – 40,000 mile sign-up bonus after first purchase. The $85 annual fee is waived for the first year. You also received 10,000 miles every year you keep the card after the first year.
- American Express Hilton Honors – 60,000 point sign-up bonus after you spend $750 on the card in the first 3 months. Complimentary silver status for the life of membership. No annual fee!
- Citi Hilton Honors – 50,000 point sign-up bonus after you spend $1,500 on the card in the first 6 months. No annual fee!